Monday, October 22, 2012

Week in the Monastery

3:30 AM 10/22/2012
 
"Come, let us bless The Lord, all you who serve
The Lord, who stand in the house of The Lord,
in the courts of the house of our God."
 
"Oh Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall proclaim your praise."
 
 
With these words we begin the day at 3:30 AM. I'm at
New Melleray Abbey this week, spending time with my brothers
in prayer and manual labor. The experience of chanting the
Psalms in the dark with 35 other men is a highlight of my life.
 
 
I rode the Beemer down here yesterday. Beautiful day,
especially this late in the season. It's supposed to be
in the low 70's most of the week, dropping into the 50's
by Friday. No problem. I have my warm riding gear.
Gotta do something about this windshield though.
I always seem to end up with a big nasty looking gob
of yellow slimy bug guts on my face shield. Looking
seriously at the Madstad windshield. It looks like that
can be adjusted to make the air flow go ver my head,
along with the bugs.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. For some reason I am surprised they have wi-fi at the monastery. Or maybe they don't but you have it on your mobile device. I am surprised they allow electronics. I would have believed it to be more of a retreat without intrusions from modern day distractions.

    I learned something today - thank you.

    Oh and I understand about the bugs on the visor. I don't have a windscreen on my Gladius and my face shield is always covered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan:

    I have the Madstad bracket on my Vstrom, with the factory small windscreen. I had to angle it back quite a few degrees to get rid of most of the buffeting. It has been to Montana, Idaho and Oregon. The Cee Bailey on my R1200R is useless . . .

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not totally cut off from the world, but we do try to keep a lot more silence and solitude in our lives. They have Internet, WiFi, and their own web page. I usually keep my Internet activities to a minimum, but I may make an exception tomorrow and Wednesday. Apple has their big announcement! New iPad mini? One of the monks has a Facebook account. He mostly posts nature pictures he takes.

    The F800ST Madstad system comes with a windshield so I think that will solve the bug guts problem.

    ReplyDelete