Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Silence

 
My favorite time, rising at 3am for prayer, chanting the
Psalms with my brothers in the middle of the night.
 
All sit in silence in the dark. One of the monks walks to
the podium and we chant together the first Psalm of the day:
 
 
 
Psalm 133
 
Oh come, bless the Lord,
all you who serve the Lord,
who stand in the house of The Lord,
in the courts of the house of our God.
 
Lift up your hands to the holy place
and bless the Lord through the night.
 
May the Lord bless you from Zion,
he who made both heaven and earth.
 
 
 
 
We all respond:
 
"Oh Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise".
 
You can just feel the presence of God all around you. Pure joy.
 
 
 
--------------------------------------------
 
The ride here Sunday was great! The rain moved out just before
I left and temp was around 65 degrees. I still love my V-Strom!
The route from home to the monastery is mostly back roads down
the west bank of the Mississippi river. It's a very scenic route,
with lots of bluffs and rock formations. Good preparation for
a week in the monastery.
 
 
Here's a link to my Flickr photo set of this place:
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Flickr link. I was hoping for more pictures. It all looks so serene and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added more pictures to the Flickr set. Several are of Brother Placid, who is over 85 years old and still works hard. He tires me out. He's our work detail boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in college in Louisville I used to ride out to Gethsemane and sit in the balcony for the 3am prayer vigil. This was in the late '70s before the tourism trade moved in to change the landscape there.

    I remember the feelings as I read your account. Very special.

    I enjoyed your photo link as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete